Saturday 22 December 2007

Winter Solstice

Today is Dong Zhi, which is an important festival of the Chinese calendar. I found out something about it from a website(Discover HongKong) and I particularly like the last 2 sentences of this paragraph:
It is celebrated on the longest night of the year, when sunshine is weakest and daylight is shortest. This celebration can be traced to the Chinese belief in yin and yang, which represents balance and harmony in life. It is believed that the yin qualities of darkness and cold are at their most powerful at this time, but it is also the turning point, giving way to the light and warmth of yang. For this reason, the Dong Zhi Festival is a time for optimism.
I'm glad that I'm home to celebrate this festival. We had a family reunion dinner yesterday(earlier), eating Tang Yuan together(although baby Ee Shuen can't eat Tang Yuan yet this year, hehe....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder I am not optimistic cz i dun celebrate Dong Zhi. I guess this yr Dong zhi, i will b celebrate alone in d small corner of mt room without eating any tang yuan. Though i don't really like tang yuan, it is the symbol of this day. This make me flash back for the past few years when my mom forced me to eat her tang yuan while everybody refused to eat...haha...funny...blissful! But now, if i wanna eat oso no chance already. I guess this may happen to me for at least 10 more yrs ahead. Tumpang makan for me la...

Anonymous said...

今年冬至竟然碰上成绩揭榜,扫兴。。。